Nationwide Federal Criminal Defense Call (213) 542-0994 - Absolute Privacy

Main Menu

What Is Criminal And Civil Forfeiture In A Federal Drug Case?

Contact us for Free Consultation

There are two branches of the federal government that get involved with federal drug cases: the criminal division and the forfeiture division. If federal agents seize money which they believe are proceeds from the selling of drugs, then they will forfeit that money. An individual must have a legitimate reason for having the money in the first place in order to prevent that money from being forfeited.

Should I Work With The Feds In My Drug Case To Get A Mitigated Sentence?

In deciding whether or not to work with the Feds, an individual will want to carefully weigh the pros and cons of doing so. In most cases, the Feds will want someone to cooperate with them by testifying against other defendants involved with a drug case, and this is something that can be dangerous. Any time I am working with a client who is considering working with the federal government, I help them consider the benefits and drawbacks and ensure that if they choose to cooperate, they will receive a significant benefit.

Are There Alternatives To Incarceration In A Federal Drug Case?

One way to avoid incarceration in a federal drug case is by cooperating with the federal government. There is also an option referred to as a safety valve, which can help defendants who meet certain requirements get below the mandatory minimums and have one point shaved off their guideline range. In addition, there are other options for avoiding incarceration—all of which should be discussed between a defendant and a federal criminal defense attorney who is familiar with their background and criminal case.

For more information on Criminal & Civil Forfeiture In A Federal Drug Case, a free initial consultation is your best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (213) 542-0994 today.

Related Articles