Nationwide Federal Criminal Defense Call (213) 542-0994 - Absolute Privacy

Main Menu

Do I Have To Have A Lawyer For Felony Embezzlement Charges?

Contact us for Free Consultation

If you’ve got felony embezzlement charges at the federal level, you don’t have to provide your own lawyer but it’s advisable to find one you trust, who knows what they are doing and will fight for you. If you don’t have the funds to afford a lawyer, a federal public defender will be appointed to you. That lawyer will be seasoned and will be able to assist you with your case. It’s never a good idea to try to represent yourself, especially in federal court, which is much more sophisticated than state court. You should definitely, if you can afford it, get your own federal criminal defense lawyer.

Can I Be Charged With Embezzlement If I Own The Business?

Some people own their own business and they get money from the federal government and then they do illegal things in relation to receiving those funds. At that point, you are stealing money from the federal government and you could be prosecuted for a theft-related offense. In order to be charged with embezzlement at the federal level, they are going to have to prove that you are taking money from someone else. You can’t take money from yourself, but if you are acquiring money in an illegal manner, you can bet your bottom dollar the FBI, the Secret Service, or some other federal branch is going to get involved, and they are going to prosecute you to the full extent of the law.

How Far Back Can Prosecutors Search For Evidence Once Embezzlement Is Discovered?

Prosecutors will search back as far as they possibly can, in collaboration with whoever the victim is, to try to figure out what the loss was and what type of charges they can bring. At some point, however, they will be limited by the statute of limitation arguments that a defense can bring up in an embezzlement case at the federal level.

For more information on Legal Counsel For Felony Embezzlement Charges, a free initial consultation is your best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (213) 542-0994 today.

Related Articles